Spicy Parsnip Soup
1 onion, chopped
2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1cm cubes
1 clove garlic, finely sliced
750ml boiling water
1 stock cube
2tsps curry powder
100ml double cream
Salt and pepper
Dried chilli flakes or smoked paprika to garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Fry the onion in the butter until soft, about five minutes. Add the parsnips, garlic and curry powder, and fry for a couple of minutes to release the flavour.
- Boil the water in a kettle and mix with the stock cube in a separate jug. Add to the pan and stir well.
- Simmer for about fifteen minutes, until the parsnips are soft and easy to break with a wooden spoon.
- Take off the heat, and blend with a hand-mixer or food processor.
- Stir in the cream and warm through.
- Season to taste and garnish with chilli flakes or smoked paprika.